Tokyo Olympics 2020: List of Tennis Players who pulled out of the summer games
The Summer Olympics Games at Tokyo are round the corner and the athletes are set to put up a fine display of their skills to win medals for their country. The Olympic Games will kick start on 23rd July and end on 8th August. Tennis is the favorite sport at the Olympics which is followed by a large fan base. Many Tennis Stars have decided to pull out of the Olympics citing personal or injury reasons.
Roger Federer, Bianca Andreescu & Johanna Konta became the latest big names in tennis to pull out from competing at the Tokyo Olympics.
Here is a list of Tennis Players who have pulled out of the Olympics:
1. Serena Williams: US Top Seed Serena Williams is the most successful player in the history of Women’s Singles. She decided to pull out of the Olympics due to personal reasons.
2. Roger Federer: Swiss Top Seed Roger Federer is a 20-time Grand Slam Winner. He announced his decision to withdraw due to a knee injury.
3.Rafael Nadal: Clay Court Champion and top seed from France Rafael Nadal had decided to pull out of the Wimbledon and Olympics due to his health concerns.
4. Dominic Thiem: Austrian Top Seed and defending US Open Star Dominic Thiem withdrew from the Olympics citing the covid scenario.
5. Angelique Kerber: German Top Seed and Wimbledon Finalist Kerber have decided to pull out from the Olympics due to her health concerns.
6. Victoria Azarenka: Former Belarus Gold Medalist Victoria Azarenka withdrew from the Olympics owing to the current pandemic scenario.
7. Simona Halep: Romanian Top Seed Simona Halep has decided to withdraw from the Olympics due to a calf injury.
8. Nick Kyrgios: Australian Top Seed Nicholas Kyrgios pulled out from the Olympics due to no in-person attendance in the stadiums.
9. Denis Shapovalov: Canadian Top Seed Denis Shapovalov has pulled out from the Olympics due to safety reasons owing to the pandemic.
10. Stan Wawrinka: Swiss Professional Stan Wawrinka has withdrawn from the Olympics due to health concerns.
Other Players who decided to pull out:
Women’s: Bianca Andreescu
Men: David Goffin, Milos Raonic, Vasec Posipil, Dan Evans, Alex Minaur.